Grilled cheese sandwiches are one of America’s most popular comfort foods for adults and children. From the classic grilled cheese sandwich, which grew in popularity during the Great Depression because of its affordability, to the reincarnated versions now found in many restaurants, food trucks, and reality cooking shows, grilled cheese sandwiches have become a mainstay.
The standard grilled cheese sandwich is typically made with pre-sliced white sandwich bread and American cheese, but by substituting the bread (try focaccia or ciabatta bread) and cheese (try goat cheese or gruyere), you can easily put a gourmet spin on it, making a huge difference in the taste of your sandwich. Want to take your grilled cheese sandwich to an even higher level? Add some other tasty items to it, such as avocado, tomato, onion, and bacon.
Grilled cheese sandwiches can be cooked in a frying pan, a panini maker, and even an air fryer. Don’t forget the salad and tomato soup, a must-have when serving grilled cheese sandwiches.
In honor of National Grilled Cheese Month, here is a simple recipe to help you celebrate!
Hawaiian Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 slices white Hawaiian sweet bread
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 slices provolone cheese
- 2 pineapple rings
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- Spread butter on one side of both slices of bread.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, place one of the bread slices butter-side down. Top the slice of bread with the cheddar cheese, provolone cheese, pineapple rings, and the teriyaki sauce.
- Top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Cook until the bottom bread slice is golden brown. Flip the sandwich and cook until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.